Jan 27, 2010

Tim Tebow.

First off, let me say I'm not a football fan.  Not even a little bit.  I've never understood the fascination with it all but hey, to each their own.  That said, living in central Flaaaaahda, I know who Tim Tebow is because, you know, he's Flaaaaahda's next thing to Jesus.  While I'd personally not go that far, he seems like a decent enough guy and that's sort of a refreshing change from some we hear about in sports. 

I'm sure most everyone has heard of the whole controversy about Tim's Superbowl ad and I admit, I'm fascinated by it all.  If you aren't familiar with the story,  here you go.

Here are my thoughts on the whole thing...do you agree?  Disagree?  I'm nosy.
 1.  Any person and any organization, no exceptions, should be allowed to request the purchase of airtime on any network.

2.  That network should be allowed to decide what they want to run as long as it fits into FCC requirements.  After all, it's their network.

3.  Who cares?  I mean, seriously, if you're pro-choice, do you really consider Tim Tebow to be a threat?  Do you have no higher opinion of our female population's decision-making skills than this?  Do you really think he's going to sway women into choosing not to abort, simply because he's Tim Tebow? And if some do chose to (not) do so after seeing his ad, what's the problem?  Isn't lowering abortion rates a good thing on both sides, in general? It's not exactly something anyone wants to encourage, is it?

4.  Anyone and I mean *any reasonable person who would be swayed in such an important, personal opinion by a TV ad featuring a college football player probably isn't someone with an intelligence level either side of the debate wants to claim.  God can't sway you, values and beliefs your folks taught you didn't phase you, your own intelligence and common sense didn't cause you to know how you feel about it all, but Tim Tebow can make a difference in how you feel about abortion?  Yeaaaaaah, you ought not be breeding anyway so if you do, consider adoption. 

I say that commercial should air and good for Tim for having the conviction to say how he feels so publically.  That *is setting a good example - own your beliefs, whatever they may be.  I'll watch the ad and cheer Tim on.  I have no issues in the world with it.  Hey, it's a better example for our kids of how to stand up for our beliefs, whatever they may be, than another godaddy.com ad.

Oh, and I'm pro-choice...vehemently so.  Go figure.

11 comments:

Shawnee said...

Love it, and agree with every word! (Except the pro-choice part. ;)

Deb said...

I totally agree with you, especially #4.

As you may (or may not) know, I love football and sports in general. I'm glad to see a young athlete that is not afraid to show his true beliefs. It will carry him a long way in his life, and in sports.

I say the commercial should air. If someone out there is against it and doesn't want to watch it when it airs, then go get another beer instead.

Joanne said...

Pro-Choice here and I think the commercial should air. It is good to live by your own word, but Tebow should just concentrate on football. From all the scouting reports from camp, he is not looking good for the NFL. His low delivery of the ball is going to make it almost impossible to be a goof NFL quarterback. Shame, he was so good in college. Urban Meyer should have taken his senior year to break him of the habit.

I am more concerned about a great college football quarterback not making the NFL then I am about a TV commercial. His "people" should have been thinking about his NFL career and not TV. They should have also thought about how Madison Avenue may not come calling if he makes it to the NFL. Tebow needs to change "his people".

Lindsay said...

I agree completely. Good for him for standing up for something he believes in. And I want my kids to see someone feel passionately about something and take action for it.

Keli said...

Great post! I am also a pro-choice believer and do not think a commercial will sway anyone with more than 2 brain cells, but it is nice to see a player stand strong on what he believes.

Lisa said...

Ahhh, how cool is it when people from both sides of the "debate" can agree on something? :-)

And hi, Shawnee, it's good to see you again!

Heather said...

thanks for sharing this, i would have likely missed it.

ok, i am a huge gator fan and i adore tim tebow...not just as a football player but as a good person. in the 4 years he spent playing for UF, he never disappointed. he didn't just "talk the talk" he also appeared to "walk the walk". that is important to me!

i am also a believer in choice. a strong believer in choice. but to *me* choice doesn't just equal one option. it encompasses all options. and if his message will help even one woman to have the courage to have a baby that they otherwise felt too scared or overwhelmed to have...i think that's a great thing.

no need to cause a big ruckus about the commercial, in my tim tebow loving, pro-choice mind. =)

Erin said...

I agree with you. especially #4. The part that I find troublesome IS the fact that he is not going to change any opinions one way or the other. Let him go on air and talk about the importance of education, staying away from drugs, or *something that may make someone stop and think. He is very outspoken in his opinions and beliefs and has the potential to inspire people.

Jennifer-Lynn said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Bravo. :)

won said...

I am not a football person either. I only know each year what number Superbowl it is.

It's always my age.

Island Baby said...

Ok, not a huge football fan here, but Tebow is kinda cute! hehe. Seriously though, I liked your post!